Riversimple - Rasa Price: POA
Last Updated On: 15/05/2018
The Riversimple Rasa is a highly innovative, lightweight, two-seater electric car, powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, which has been in 15 years of development. The engineering prototype has clocked over 60mph and has been weaving neatly through the traffic in London, as well as gliding down the country lanes of Powys. The production prototype should do around 250 mpg (equivalent), with a range of 300 miles.
The chassis is a carbon fibre monocoque made from very lightweight but extremely stiff carbon fibre composites. The monocoque chassis weighs less than 40kg. Every aspect of the Rasa has been created and interrogated for simplicity, efficiency, lightness, strength, affordability, safety and sustainability. The whole car weighs just 580kg.
Apart from the revolutionary exterior design of the car, it's technical specification is extraordinary:
- Four electric motors, one in each wheel
- Motors as brakes – recovering over 50% of kinetic energy when braking
- Super-capacitors to store this energy and provide most of the power for acceleration
- A low powered hydrogen fuel cell ( 8.5 kW)
- A body made of lightweight composites
The Rasa is currently undergoing lengthy ownership testing, after which it will go into full production.